Thursday, January 9, 2014

Friday Rain

Is it me?
Or are my children drifting farther away
While the woman I love has gone far away
And it's raining a rain that even I can't enjoy
On this blank day in December
Is it me?

Is it me?
Or am I back to this rusty familiar
That hides just behind my right shoulder
In whispered cotton thoughts steeped in mud
Ever since I can remember
Is it me?

Is it me?
Or am I nowhere
Everywhere
Here and there
Still unsure of which direction I should send my next breath
Solid in the abstraction of the unknown moment
When I can pretend to be as the others are
When I can sit without the isolation of my singular thoughts that search for knowing ears
When I can be in the mirror of it all and still know that I matter
When the joy and swooping voices of strangers remind me of love
And not fear
Is it me?

I had hoped that one day the day would come
When the birds would join me and affirm my flight
When the sky would wink at me before growing dark
When the ones I loved would come home for dinner
When the ball and chain that stayed on my left heel would roll pass me by
Without looking back but leaving the words "see ya" lingering in the air in its wake
Leaving me to breathe in this free air which until now had danced around me like quicksilver 
Like marshy fog
Like jesus and santa claus hidden in one gift-wrapped present
Only to find an empty box at the end of Christmas Day

I had hoped for this kind of romance and magic and rain and reflection
I had hoped for solid
For clear
For you

But more questions than answers invade this barren afternoon
And the rain feels old and dusty
And I wish I had better news for my ancestors 
My father
My grandmother
And all the rest

Yet all I have to offer up is the question
Shrouded in guilt
Lonely in its final strides to some kind of sunset 
Behind some kind of clouds
Bringing some kind of rain
The question
Again
Is
Is it me?
Is it me?
Is it...






No comments:

Post a Comment